Uttar Pradesh government is all set to launch an integrated scheme to provide nutritious food to pregnant women and also to the malnourished children. As per the official data, every sixth undernourished child in India is from Uttar Pradesh, hence the government felt the need to run this program which will take off from June 20. According to sources, State Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has decided to launch the Hausala Poshan Yojna from June 20.
In order to implement this scheme, Chief Minister has decided to adopt one village in Shravasti district under state nutrition mission. Pregnant women and malnourished children will be provided with cooked food and one fruit under the scheme. All the malnourished kids in the age group of seven months to three years will be given counseling and also will be provided with free health check up.
Government stated the main reason behind the formation of the State Nutrition Mission so as to monitor all the schemes and implementations that are being taken for improving the health of women. Innovations and suggestions would also be taken which can child and mother care.
The aim of the state nutrition mission is to :
- To monitor the body nutrition schemes and interventions.
- To strengthen the data management, monitoring and the reporting system.
- To guide the departments and also helping them in the formation of the new policies.
- To provide all the kind of technical support to the departments.
Besides this, they also have a state nutrition plan which is based on the following implementations :
- To initiate breast feeding within one hour.
- And also to continue breast feeding for the next months.
- To provide micronutrient supplements to the malnourished children.
- To promote the practice of safe handling things and promoting hygienic practices.
- To continue feeding them with food during illness and provide them with right kind of nutrients so that they get well soon.
- To improve the kind of food given to pregnant women and lactating women so that they do not suffer from anaemia.
Under the scheme, 7,843 gram sabhas have been adopted. From the academic session 2017-17, it has been decided that a new subject nutrition in the curriculum of basic education department.