“Our education policy best in the country”- says Goa CM

The Chief Minister of Goa, Laxmikant Parsekar has said that the government will never compromise when it comes to investing in education.

“Goa tops the list among literate states in the country. It also houses some of the reputed professional colleges in India. The upcoming NIT and IIT projects in Pernem and Canacona will enable best of educational facilities to its citizens. Hence, the state government will never compromise in investing in education,” he said.

The CM was speaking to college management officials and educationists after distributing cheques for creating infrastructure under Union government’s Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) scheme, on Wednesday.

Laxmikant Parsekar“This is the second instalment of grants released under the scheme. A sum of Rs 1 crore is sanctioned to each college of which 60 per cent is contributed by the central government while the state government bears the rest 40 per cent. The first instalment was released in the month of January, while this time, a sum of Rs 41.48 lakh per college is released, and Goa University has received a sum of Rs 54.85 lakh,” he said.

He said although Rs 1 crore may be a meagre amount, it can help to take tiny steps towards prosperity, development and bright future of the colleges. He said that “we are on the right track and doing a wonderful job in educational field,” adding, the grants will give boost for infrastructure improvement and the state will keep marching ahead in quality education.

He also stated that student’s enrolment in government colleges has gone up tremendously due to improved infrastructure and facilities, but that there was ample scope for the state to improve.

“Our education policy is one of the best in the country and if this money is utilised for infrastructure and in providing better learning aids, it will surely illuminate future generations,” he added. The CM also stressed on the need for having night classes.

“Various courses will shortly be organised in order to provide quality-based training to the college faculty, however, the management and college administration should not compromise while hiring teachers,” he said. “Teachers are backbone of any institution and we must take utmost care while selecting them.” NAAC accreditation is also a boon for the college, he added.

The Chief Minister also said that various developmental projects are getting affected due to unnecessary interference by NGOs. He was making this comment in the wake of opposition to a project for an IIT campus at Loliem village in South Goa by the local panchayat.

“Those who speak against these projects are the one who don’t have enough information about it. Media usually takes their byte and project it as opposition.”

“Similar opposition was there for the NIT project in Cuncolim village where section of people didn’t want the campus to come up,” he added.

The Chief Minister has now appealed to teachers to speak up in favour of such educational projects.

“It is time for teachers to speak out in favour of such educational projects. You all should talk to mediapersons and explain them the importance of them. You should be vocal on such issues,” Parsekar said addressing gathering of teachers during laptop distribution function at Secretariat here.

Tags from the story
, ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *