NEET UG 2017: applications to commence in December 2nd week

The National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) in 2017 would be conducted as a single entrance exam for admissions in undergraduate medical and dental courses. The dates for the entrance test are yet to be announced by CBSE, however, as per the standard practice, it is safe to say that NEET 2017 would be conducted on the first Sunday of May 2017.

NEET 2017 examThe Supreme Court had, in its order dated April 28, 2016, recalled NEET to be conducted for medical and dental admissions, the test was earlier scrapped in the year 2013. In what can be termed as a historic decision, Justices Anil R. Dave, Shiva Kirti Singh and Adarsh Kumar Goel had scrapped all medical entrance exams administered by state governments and institutions and ordered the CBSE and MCI to conduct NEET to facilitate admissions in all colleges across the country.

The application process for NEET 2017 may start from the second week of December and we can expect the official notice anytime now. Over 50 thousand MBBS and BDS seats would be filled through NEET 2017 as this year all the private and government-run institutions would come under the ambit of NEET. Only AIIMS and JIPMER will continue to hold their separate entrance tests as these are ‘Institute of National Importance’. Once started, the application process would continue for at least a month.

On the lines of AIPMT (All India Pre-Medical/Dental Test), NEET would facilitate admissions to 15% all India quota seats in government medical and dental colleges through centralized counselling process. The admissions to remaining 85% seats would be administered by states separately.

As per the reports, NEET 2017 would be conducted in Gujarati language along with English. This was confirmed by Union Health Minister J P Nadda in a letter to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel said earlier this month. The confirmation on adding other regional languages – Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Assamese and Bengali is yet to be revealed.

Stay connected with ExamsWatch at Facebook and Twitter for more updates.

11 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *