NEET merit list for Ayurveda, Homoeopathy admissions in Gujarat

The admissions to Ayurveda and Homoeopathy courses in Institutions of Gujarat will be regulated according to the merit list prepared out of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) merit list. The decision was announced by the State government as per Gujarat Professional Medical Educational Courses (Regulation of Admission) Rules, 2017.

Some students objected to it and filed a petition in the Gujarat High Court, which in turn recently rejected the petition. The NEET is an entrance exam for candidates who aspire to study graduate medical courses in private or government medical colleges in India and is administered by CBSE.

Gujarat High Court justified that the state has structured rules for BAMS (Ayurveda) and BHMS (Homoeopathy) admissions by bringing out a minimum mandatory NEET marks. On 2nd August, Gujarat HC rejected the petition of students who objected the rule which makes NEET compulsory for admission to Homoeopathy and Ayurveda courses from 2017 onwards.

The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) merit list will be used to regulate admissions for Ayurveda, homeopathy courses

The petition stated that up till last year candidates only required appearing for Gujarat Common Entrance Test (GUJCET) and obtain 50% score in 12th Board exam for BAMS and BHMS admissions. The candidates appeared for GUJCET as they were uninterested in enrolling for other courses. Moreover, the new changes have been resisted stating that the government has indulged in the disobedience of the Gujarat Regulation of Admission and Fixation of Fees Act, 2007. The petition further said the rules altered the standards by commencing obligatory NEET clearance.

R Subhash Reddy and Vipul Pancholi, Chief Justice and the Justice respectively, in response said, “The rights to fill the seats are protected and only the process has been changed. The institutes have to admit students based on the NEET merit list. Petitioners’ contention is that the rules in the Act say that 75 percent seats at self-financed colleges will be filled by the state, while the remaining 25 percent will be filled by the college management. However, the state government in June made sudden changes to the rules. According to the changes, the professional admission committee for medical colleges will now fill all seats.”

As per the government, the students of 12th Standard had been well informed beforehand regarding the modifications in the admission process. One of the government lawyers said, “On 8th March, The Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board issued a press note announcing that GUJCET will be conducted only for engineering and pharmacy courses.”

The Lawyer further stated, “Before that, a news report on February 10, informed that admissions to medical (MBBS), dental, homeopathy, Ayurveda and naturopathy courses will be granted on the basis of NEET score.”

As per the new amendments, the professional admission board for colleges (medical) will fill up all seats.

Tags from the story
, , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *