HRD Ministry looking to scrap 60:40 marks weightage norm for NITs

It is known that, Human Resource Development Ministry had set up a committee for reviewing the policy in evaluating the rank got by a candidate for admissions to national institutes of technology. The latest news is, this committee has suggested the policy of giving importance to the marks secured in the twelfth board examinations to be removed totally. As per statement from reliable sources, the candidates should be given admissions based on their ranks in the joint entrance exams, JEE (Mains).

Every year out of approximately 13 lakh students who appear for JEE Mains, 10,000 students get admitted to IIT’s and 30,000 to NIT’s. In the year 2012, the selection procedure underwent revision when Kapil Sibal, HRD minister of UPA government launched policy where weightage on plus two marks was given while calculating rank for JEE Mains. 60:40  formula, gave 40% weightage to the marks scored by the students in plus two exams and the rest 60% to JEE Mains.

It was earlier said that the reason behind this 60:40 weightage was to make the students pay more attention to the board examinations of class 12 and not spend time at the coaching institutes. Indian Institute of Technologies were smart enough to overcome this problem within a year, but National institute of Technologies bore the brunt of the 60:40 weightage.

Reigning Bharathiya Janata Party, BJP government formed a committee to scrap this method of admission. It was also found that the state board examinations have shown to have greater degree of variability. As a result, the normalization of marks across various boards was found to be tough when five subjects taken into consideration are physics, mathematics either chemistry, biology or vocational subject, a language subject, any subject other than those specified above.

It was also brought to the notice that, as per the 2012 JEE revised policy, admission to IIT would not only depend on the score got in JEE Advanced but the candidate who qualify must be in top 20 percentile of class 12 board examination of the state. It was also said that class 12 exam is graduating exam against percentage norms, but JEE a competitive one which eliminates students on their scores, so the bases of both the exams were totally different.

It was also stated that the intention of the new policy was to make the students pay more attention to their school subjects and to reduce the coaching classes, but not towards diminishing the role of coaching system. It had resulted in many candidates losing out to negative marks in JEE inspite of getting high marks in JEE, but high percentages in class 12 board examinations.

IITs acted smartly by changing the qualifying criteria for JEE-Advanced 2015 to top 20 percentile or 75% in class 12 board exam. This was applicable to last cut-offs for top 20 percentile is more than 75%. NITs are squeezed between 60:40 weightage of JEE-class 12 board scores. This had resulted in bitterness among the students community.

It must be noted that, in the year 2003, regional engineering colleges, REC’s, were changed to national institutes of technologies, NITs. These NITs are much preferred by the students for their undergraduate engineering education process. It must be noted that, many students even go for preferred course such as computer science and engineering at these NITs and forgo their seats in not much preferred subjects of prestigious IITs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *