The noble step taken by CBSE by launching “UDAAN” (A Programme to give wings to Girl Students), to help more number of girls prepare for JEE and especially its YouTube channel is gaining popularity with every passing day. The viewership of both the recorded videos and live webcasts is increasing. The webcasts are a way to enrich the teaching and learning of science and mathematics at school level by addressing the three dimensions of education – curriculum design, transaction and assessments.
With a goal of enabling more and more enrollment of girl students in prestigious engineering institutions and thereby bridging the teaching gap between school education & engineering entrance examination, CBSE started a Programme UDAAN under guidance of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. The objective of this project is to enable girl students to soar to higher education from schools, and to eventually take various leadership roles in future.
Under this program, students are provided free offline/online resources through virtual weekend contact classes and study material on pre- loaded tablet while studying in Class XI and Class XII for reparation of admission test to various premier engineering colleges in the country.
Statistics of higher education in India
- Number of Degree Granting Institutions: 800 plus
- Number of affiliated colleges: 36,000 plus
- Number of student enrolling every year for higher education: 22 million
Features of the UDAAN initiative
Under this initiative called ‘Udaan’, CBSE every year selects 1000 girls students to compete for admission at renowned engineering colleges. Selected girl students shall also be given tablets with some of the vital contents preloaded in it along with several tutorials, study materials and assessments. The progress of the students shall also be recorded and the feedback shall also be given to their parents. There shall be several interactive session to be taken place with the parents and peers of these selected girl students. A helpline is also being initiated by CBSE to clear the doubts of these girl students which shall help them in a better IIT preparation. Financial assistance by means of reward points redeemed towards fees in IITs and NITs
Who all are eligible to join
- The program is open to Indian citizens only.
- All girl students studying in classes XI and XII in any Board in India can apply based on following eligibility criteria.
- Girl students currently enrolled in Class XI and XII in PCM stream
- Minimum 70% marks in Class X overall and 80% marks in Science and Mathematics; for Boards which follow CGPA, a minimum CGPA of 8 and a GPA of 9 in Science and Mathematics
- For Class XII students, a minimum of 75% marks in PCM in Class XI in addition to the Class X requirements
Selection will be based on merit cum means. Preference will be given to girl students from economically disadvantaged background.