Bihar’s Way To Prevent Fire Incidents, Stop Cooking in Day Time

fire accidents in bihar

A few days ago, six people were killed in two separate fire incident in Bihar’s Lakhisarai and Darbhanga districts. Due to the fire, four children were charred to death after the fire broke out at Pokhwaran village under Kajra police station of Lakhisarai district .While the soaring temperatures are the main reason behind increasing fire accidents in summers, Bihar government has come up with a solution, that mostly will term as a bizarre one.

The state government issued an advisory to people on Thursday, telling them not to cook or conduct any pooja or any form of havan (religious activity) between 9 am to 6 pm in rural areas. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has ordered the officials to issue the advisory.

Chief Minister ordered the officials to provide compensation to the family of victim. Additionally, the officials have also been asked to submit the proposal for purchase of additional fire equipment immediately.

The fire was caused due to an electrical spark at a villager’s home during cooking which also spread to the neighbour’s house. After the fire incident that took place in Bihar, the state government has come up with a solution which is no pooja and no cooking in the morning. The Power Secretary has been instructed to change loose electricity wire from various areas as a preventive step.

Principal secretary, Disaster Management, Vyasji, said, “Summer is at its peak and incidents happen due to fire. The advisory has been issued for those living in rural areas not to cook food, offer puja or even burn wheat crop leftovers on agricultural fields after 9 am and before 6 pm because the intense heat wave blowing during this period stokes fire.”

This year, Bihar is facing another incident, fire, after facing several calamities in the past few years. Because of the unprecedented heat wave, around 60 people have been killed and property worth lakhs of rupees has been lost. Over 700 houses have been destroyed in the fire till now.

Former CM Lalu Prasad Yadav also raised his voice to lay emphasis on curtailing the use of fire to avoid accidents as a result of the heat wave.

Satender Bind, a resident of Bihar, who lost his house, reacted to government’s decision and said, “It sounds fine but I wonder how many people will follow it. There are practical difficulties. But yes, I did lose my home in a fire and it started from someone’s cooking.”

The Chief Minister is also planning to hold several review meetings to take stock of fire incidents and also understand the status of implementation of the total liquor ban in the state. It was also observed during the meeting that the water level of Patna has gone down as compared to that in the past two years.

Tags from the story
,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *