Some more colleges have been approved by the Medical Council of India. Tamil Nadu got 7 new colleges approved by MCI. By doing this, around 1,000 MBBS students will be added more to the colleges. This is a good news for the students taking admission this academic year as there is a certain set of students who were not able to make it to the college in the last counseling session which was held earlier this year.
In Chennai, the name of the colleges along with the number of seats is as follows :
- Ponnayan Ramanujam Institute of Medical Sciences, Manamai, ECR (97/150)
- Annai Medical College and Research Centre, Sriperambudur (97/150)
- Adhiparasakthi Medical College, Melmaruvathur (97/150)
- Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan Medical College, Perambalur (75/150)
- Madha Medical College, Kundrathur (75/150)
- Karpagam Faculty of Medical Sciences and Research, Coimbatore (75/150)
- Sree Moogambigai Institute of Medical Sciences, Kanyakumari (50/100).
For some of the colleges, the second phase of medical counseling has already begun.
The first college, Ponnayan Ramanujam is a new college. It is also a self-financing college. Annai Medical College and Research Centre is also a self-financing college. These two colleges will have to surrender 97 seats each to the government. All the seats that have been surrendered by the self- financing college will be filled in the ongoing second phase of counseling. All the new colleges have to take permission from MCI every year which is followed by an inspection. Even if a college has been running for a long time, they still are not able to take more students because they did not follow the norms set by the MCI.
In this academic session now, there are 2,650 MBBS seats in the government sector and in the private sector, there are 760 seats.